Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Granny's Coconut Cream Pie....

*This recipe makes 2 pies. :)

1 c. granulated sugar


6 Tbsp. cornstarch or a.p. flour


1 tsp. salt


5 c. whole milk


6 eggs, seperated (yolks for filling)


2 Tbsp. butter


2 tsp. vanilla


1 c. coconut



Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Add milk and egg yolks. Cook and let thicken. Remove from heat, add vanilla, butter and cocnut and stir. Pour into baked pie crust. In cold metal bowl with cold mixer whisk attachment or hand mixer beaters, beat egg whites until stiff. ( I add a little cream of tartar to whites) Add 2 Tbsp. sugar and beat again to blend. Pour over pie filling and sprinkle with coconut. Lightly brown in 400 degree oven.
(My Granny & my Mamaw both made an EXCELLENT coconut cream pie and their recipes were so similar that I combined them to make this one. It's a little more like Granny's than Mamaw's so I call it Granny's. Trust me, Mamaw would not mind. She loved Granny's cooking.... :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Neat! I didn't even know you had this other blog until today! I've been drooling over all your recipes for the last 20 minutes, can't wait to try some of them out. I'll let you know when I do!

Abundantly Blessed Mama said...

I can't get into this account to edit it but wanted to correct this recipe years later! Lol

It's 2 cups of sugar!!!!

Love, Julie