Friday, November 21, 2008

Indian Tacos...

*A true delicasy where I live; I grew up with these! Churches and schools even have "Indian Taco Sales" to raise money! They are just that GOOD!! :)

Fry Bread

(what you place your taco meat, beans, etc. on top of)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
4 c. flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Beat eggs and milk. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder; mix well. Pinch off a small amount, pat out flat, poke holes in it with a fork. Fry in oil until lightly brown. Drain. Put aside and keep warm.gound beef (app. 1 lb.)taco seasoningsaltpepperpinto beansshredded lettucediced tomatoesGrated cheddar or colby/jack or mexican blend cheeseCook meat, salt and pepper and taco seasoning as if you were making regular tacos. In center of each fry bread, put 2 TSP pinto beans, taco meat sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese. Can add sour cream if you wish, you can also serve with salsa.We do the works and add sliced black olives, too! YUM!

Beans:

If you don't know how to cook beans, I will share my tips with you. I never presoak. I have before but I don't see any difference in the taste and it's much quicker if you just rinse in warm water. So, I rinse the beans two or three times. Place in large cooking pot. Add enough water to completely cover the beans, I like to add two or three more cups of water. Add salt, pepper and I put meat tenderizer in mine. (You can also use chili powder, garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder , just whatever suits your taste!) Cover pot with the lid slightly tilted, cook on med/high heat until beans come to a rolling boil. Turn heat down slightly and simmer for app. 2 hours. checking every 20 minutes (app) to see if the beans need water. You can not let them boil dry! That's it; they are done when tender!

*Most good southerners put bacon or salt pork in their beans when you first cover them with water. They are also good without the pork (my Dad will not eat beans with pork in them) I've had them either way, it is better with but I can live without it!Usually a pot of beans will make us at least two meals and I use the leftovers to make burritos (refried beans) or nachos or just whatever I can add beans to! They are a great way to stretch your budget! I hope you enjoy your indian tacos! (Thanks Wilma)

No comments: