Monday, November 3, 2008

old timey sugar cookies..

You do not frost these. You sprinkle them with sugar. My granny NEVER frosted her sugar cookies and I have never been a fan of frosted ones, I guess for that reason! These have an amazing flavor and they are so good straight out of the oven. The old timers used a whisky bottle to roll out their dough. We don't but I have used a glass jar. My granny also used a snuff lid to cut out her biscuits and sugar cookies. Maybe that's why mine don't have quite the same taste. Anyway, here you go, my all time FAVORITE cookie, ever!

1 & 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 & 1/2 to 3 c. flour
2 tbsp. milk
Sugar for sprinkling

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well. stir in vanilla.Combine the dry ingredients and add them alternately to the butter mixture with the milk. Turn out the dough onto a floured board and knead lightly. Roll out and cut into circles. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, sprinkle lightly with sugar, and bake in a moderate oven (350) until light brown (about 8-10 minutes). Makes approximately 2 dozen large cookies.Yummy Yummy! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That cracks me up about the snuff lid! I'm sure I have folks in my family tree who would have done that too. No extra money spent on a fancy cookie cutter - make due with what's handy.